Maximising Your Employment References: The Dos and Don'ts for Job Applicants
Looking for a new job? Your employment references could make or break your chances of landing that dream position. Employers use references to evaluate candidates and determine if they're the right fit for the job and company. Don't let your references hold you back! It's time to take a closer look at who you're choosing to vouch for your skills and experience.
Are you currently on the hunt for a new job? If so, you might want to take a closer look at your employment references. Many employers use these references as a tool to evaluate candidates and determine if they're a good fit for the job and company.
But don't take this step in the hiring process lightly! Your employment references can make or break your chances of landing the job. That's why it's important to make sure your references work for you and not against you.
To help you out, here are some do's and don'ts to keep in mind when it comes to employment references:
- Choose your references carefully. Select people who have direct knowledge of your job performance and who can speak positively about your contributions to the company.
- Ask for permission from your references before providing their contact information to prospective employers.
- Confirm your references' contact information and how they prefer to be contacted.
- Provide your references with brief information about the job you're applying for and refresh their memories of your positive contributions to the company in the past.
- Follow up with your references and show your appreciation for their time and help.
- Let your references know about the outcome of your job search and how much you appreciate their support.
- Assume that you will always get great references even if you think you've done well enough in your previous job.
- Use relatives, neighbours, or close friends as references. These people won't have useful knowledge of your job performance, and companies know this.
- Forget to thank your references or keep them updated on the outcome of your job search.
- Assume that employers won't check your references. Be prepared for them to scrutinise your references thoroughly.
By keeping these do's and don'ts in mind, you can ensure that your employment references work in your favour and help you land your dream job!
If you would like to learn more about how RefNow's automated Employment Referencing software can help your organisation, reach out to us today and get your first 5 checks free.